Thoughts on living and teaching in Tanzania

Friday, June 24, 2011

Remembering Why I Love Africa

Massai on the beach in Dar es Salaam


In case you were wondering…I totally made it! These last four days in Tanzania have been truly indescribable, and there is no way I will be able to adequately explain all the smells, colors, food, language, and both frustrating/humorous and validating experiences. Finding a place to start is so difficult!
On the more formal/serious side, in such a short amount of time I have been to the Tanzanian Ministry of Education and met the head of the English department, visited the US embassy of Tanzania for talks on health, safety, and Swahili, met Peace Corps volunteers to discuss the realities of education and teaching in both city and rural locations, and met Christian Mwananga who talked about the face of HIV and AIDS in Tanzania and its impact on youth and schools. In each speakers genuine words of thanks and encouragement I received a multitude of validation for devoting a year of my life to teaching in Tanzania. It’s so hard to realize a need and decide do something about it. As I described in an earlier post, it is so hard to leave the security of friends, family, and modern conveniences. However, being here and hearing and seeing the need and gratitude in peoples’ voices and eyes is more than confirming. While nervous about my abilities and living up to the Tanzanians’ expectations and hopes I have met, I am so excited to do and give what I am able.
On the more fun and both frustrating and humorous side, these last four days have been incredible but tough. From mosquito wars both outside and inside my room even with a mosquito net, to dalla dalla rides into and out of Dar es Salaam (public transport-basically beyond packed, like faces pressed against windows packed, really old/dirty busses and vans with overhead hand rails to hold on for your life with out of control body odor), to the picturesque white-sand, palm tree, and clear-water beach while only miles away that took two hours to get to on dalla dallas and a ferry, to savory Ethiopian and Indian food and food that would most definitely warrant a trip to the toilet and maybe even hospital (street and market vendors selling squid, octopus, and fish with so many flies on it), to power outages while in the shower having no clue where lights or a flashlight is, to no running water soliciting bucket bathing, to hand-washing my sweat soiled clothes because although it is winter it is still in the 90s here, to chatting with the very friendly infamous Massai warriors, to talks about de-worming pills and self-malaria testing, to dancing it up to some sweet local Tanzanian music, to sweet, juicy mangoes and chicken that is normal size and contains no hormones, to  market bargaining for vivid, patterned truly African cloth, I have/am remembering why I love Africa so much.
I have never been to a place where people rely so heavily on each other and have a greater sense of community where no one can really afford to be out for themselves. While Americans have running water, washing machines, personal transport with smooth paved roads, and restaurants instead of market and street vendors selling mostly roasted corn, sugar cane, fruit, and fly infested meats, Africans have a joy that comes from their service to each other. I love it, and now remember why I wanted to return so badly!
We leave tomorrow to travel for six hours to a town called Lushoto in the mountains for some intensive much needed Swahili language learning (as I have no clue what anyone is saying while they stare at the white girl and laugh), and teaching preparation of course. By the way, thank you so very much to those of you who have emailed me! I cannot tell you what a blessing your emails have been in keeping me informed in your lives. As much as I love being here, I will always need your support and love. Oh…and I want to post pictures, but I have to find some better internet first!
Much love! katie

4 comments:

  1. Katie, so beautifully written. I am speechless and humbled by what you have to share. One thing is for sure-you have our love and support. We are so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh katie!! I cant believe youre actually there! Im so glad everything is going well regardless of the minor setbacks. I cannot wait to hear about your super intense year! Youre so amazing. Love you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I love you! Hope you are doing well sweet friend! So glad to hear that you already are witnessing and remembering the African sense of community. May you be immersed in a loving and supporting community of your own! God Bless!
    Lindsay Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. My African friend... :)
    so happy to hear of your journey so far. and I'm so proud of you! looking forward to more stories. :) Love you! Cassie

    ReplyDelete